Google, Facebook and Twitter have unveiled the most-shared memes and hashtags of 2012.
- Twitter trends here.
- Facebook trends here.
- Google trends here.
- Click to play this year’s top viral videos.
- Facebook’s top memes were entertainment-related — think “Linsanity” and “Gangnam style” (948MM views at time of writing).
- Whitney Houston’s accidental drowning death was Google’s top search trend, generated more than 10 million tweets and was the third-biggest event on Facebook in 2012.
- Despite efforts to broaden its appeal, Google+ is still a haven for nerds (top memes include tags related to developer conferences and tech-industry events).
- On Twitter, people tended to talk about what music they were playing, what they were thankful for and, within the tech category, their mobile service providers and iPads.
- Hurricane Sandy generated more than 20 million tweets, was the fourth biggest event on Facebook and was the top trending event of 2012 on Google.
Felix Baumgartner’s daring freefall from near space was a top trend on Google. (94.5MM at time of wiring)
Trending Google+ Hashtags
- #SOPA (a reference to the draconian anti-piracy bill of the same name that was stopped by outraged internet activists)
- #IO12 (a reference to the annual Google IO developers conference)
- #SXSW (an annual Austin conference of particular interest to the tech startup set)
Trending Facebook memes
- TBH (to be honest)
- YOLO (you only live once)
- One-word Comment
- Gangnam Style (a dance thing)
- Cinnamon Challenge
- SMH (shake my head)
- Big Bird
- Linsanity (a basketball thing)